Practice Conversation for everyday life for shopping, phone, restaurants and more! Learn grammar, new vocabulary words and how to ask questions: Where? Who? Do? and How? in class with your expert teacher.
ESL is a basic education program in English for adults whose native language is not English. Classes will help students develop English language skills needed to be a productive worker, an effective community member, a positive family member and a life-long learner.
There is no online registration for ESL classes. Students must register in person. For additional information regarding ESL registration, view our flyer. All ESL classes are free, there is no fee. For more information call: (310) 533-4689 or email email@example.com
Attention all ESL students! Please visit our ESL Weebly (Web Log) for the latest news on ESL classes, news, and more! Visit our website at: http://torranceesl.weebly.com and stay connected.
- ESL Beginning Low
- This course is for students who have limited reading and writing skills in English. Emphasis is on listening and speaking. Students learn the basic forms and vocabulary of English needed in everyday situations.
- ESL Beginning High
- This course is for students who already know everyday English words and phrases. Students learn to communicate their basic needs in spoken and written English. They learn to read simplified materials and to take part in simple conversations. Vocabulary development is emphasized.
- ESL Intermediate Low
- This course is for students who know the English necessary for everyday situations. Students learn to communicate in new situations, and learn about cultural differences and similarities. Topics are chosen according to student interests. Teachers begin to emphasize correct form.
- ESL Intermediate High
- This course is for students who can effectively communicate in English in most familiar situations. Emphasis is on improving written and spoken communication. Course content is determined by student goals and interests.
- ESL Advanced Low
- This course is for students who can converse on most topics, but cannot speak fluently about technical subjects. Students use basic grammar structures correctly, but cannot self-correct complex structures. Emphasis is on developing higher level skills.
- ESL Advanced High
- This course is for students who can communicate fluently on a variety of topics, and who make few errors in structure. The goal is to prepare students to exit the ESL program and transition to courses designed for native speakers of English. Emphasis is on developing the skills necessary to meet the student's social, academic, and vocational demands with confidence.
Griffith Adult Center--Registration Information
Morning Classes: Monday through Thursday 8:30am Room#12
Afternoon Classes: Please check in the office.
Evening Classes: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 5:45pm-7:00pm in Room #12.
Intermediate High A
Intermediate High B
Hamilton Adult Center--Registration Information:
Morning Classes: Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 8:30am-10:00am Room#19
Afternoon & Evening Classes: Please check in the office.
*Child Care: Morning child care for children ages 2-5 is available while parent is in class at Hamilton.
Levy Adult School
Levy students must take a placement test and register at the Griffith Adult Center
Victor Elementary School
Victor students must take a placement test and register at the Griffith Adult Center.
*Please Note: The YMCA entrance is NOT the school entrance on Spencer Street.
It's time to USE the vocabulary and grammar you already know! You will be able to talk about your life in the United States and practice conversation for REAL LIFE situations. You will learn today's English language including the latest idioms and slang and discuss current news topics. English is the world's language. Make it yours!
Are articles awful? Prepositions a problem? Review these and other difficult details of English grammar. Improve your written and spoken English and learn more about the structure of the English language as well as spelling and punctuation rules. Brush up on your grammar in this fun new class.
Are you looking for a stress-free place to practice your spoken English? Come to our friendly classroom! Meet new people and talk about topics that are important to you. Did you hear or experience something you did not understand? Our sage teacher helps you find answers to all your questions about the English language and life in the USA. Join the club!
Our expert teacher helps you create an individual English-language learning plan. You set goals in the areas where you most need help: listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, life skills, and cultural awareness. Learn computer skills such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Internet basic skills.
Study from home using borrowed DVDs and lesson packets. Meet with a teacher who will answer your questions. Come to school once each week for a 15-minute appointment to review your work and check out the next unit of study. Citizenship preparation is available.
Practice pronunciation, conversation, grammar, and writing skills to help you communicate better in everyday work and social situations. Be a success!
Are you a college bound student who has completed the advanced level of ESL? This course will assist you to transition to COLLEGE and CAREERS through: Academic listening comprehension skills, clear speech (oral presentations, pronunciation, intonation), advanced idioms and university-level vocabulary, formal conversation skills, higher-level reading acitivities with an emphasis on authentic material, advanced grammar, writing well-organized academic paragraphs, and advanced punctuation skills.
Prepare for the U.S. Citizenship exam! Study U.S. History & Government, Civics and English while learning vocabulary for the NEW N-400 Naturalization Application. Practice for the oral interview and prepare for the U.S. Citizenship exam. Study from home using lesson packets and return to school once each week for a 15-minute appointment to review your work and check out the next unit of study.
Would you like to help students from all over the world by giving the gift of your English? Learn techniques to help students learn English as you participate in their classes. Teachers will arrange flexible hours to suit your schedule. NO FEE. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org